It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Weekly Report #3 & #4 

Post Weekly Report #3 & #4
With the two-in-one format seeming to work well, I've decided to stick with it for now. Therefore, welcome to the Week 3 & 4 report!

I'm pleased to start with the news that there is a whole host of exciting racing to discuss, aided by every single meeting having recordings (thank you to those involved for posting them). We've got all the usual thrills and spills, as well as some British League history making.

Tapes up... Let's get straight to it:

WEEK 3

Hackney Warriors vs Newcastle Sharks

A hard-charge to a lead... A spirited comeback... A defiant last stand... Scriptwriters would be hard pressed to write something better than the reality here... And this was between the teams at the bottom of the league!

The Sharks came out fighting, battling hard to get a 4-2 and then a 5-1 across the first two races, both of which went to the line. They followed with a second 5-1 in the third, albeit this time with sheer dominance. A 10 point lead established in just 3 races.

Mistakes were then traded across the next 5 races (Heats 4-8), with each team taking a turn to get the heat advantage. At the end of the first half it stood at 20-28.

Heat 9 tells a story all of it's own. An early JC mistake leaves The Smiler battling Stephen over first place, looking to end the run and get a split heat. It get better in Heat 10, as everyone stays on the track, trading places back and forth repeatedly.

A pair of split heats lead into the fightback. In two heats (13 & 14) the Warriors manage to battle their way back to level pegging, tying things up at 42 points apiece.

Some first bend bunching brings back the riders to rerun heat 15, with the away side poaching a 4-2. A final blanket-finish Heat 16 ends up all square in a split heat (I'm sure the referee spent quite a while staring at the photo finish to separate them).

Not only the meeting of the week, this may well be the meeting of the season thus-far. There's a LOT of exciting races, making it a must-watch for fans.

FINAL: Warriors 47 - 49 Sharks

Glasgow Cowboys vs Stoke Sabres

You'd think that home teams would have the advantage early on in meetings, being more used to their chosen track, but like the meet above this one too saw the away side begin better.

The first two went away, then one split. Two home, one split. One home. One away. The first 8 races with nothing between them.

Unfortunately for the 'boys, the second half saw their luck disappear

They shipped two points away in Heat 9, before the even nature of the teams provided a run of 4 straight tied races. With Heats 14 & 15 also going 4-2 in favour of the Sabres their win was secure, meaning they won't fret the tied final heat.

Having won so dominantly in their first home meeting, the Cowboys will be frustrated to have taken the loss here, especially given the tight nature of the first half of the racing.

FINAL: Cowboys 45 - 51 Sabres

Peterborough Piemen vs Manchester Storm

Last week I proclaimed the only thing missing from it having everything was a maximum.

With 20+1 from 7 rides, BWitcher not only rose to the challenge, but set a record in the process. Never before had a rider scored top points from 7 rides in BSS history.

Not only that, the Piemen managed to do what others had so-far struggled to do this week... START STRONG AT HOME! Now, that might be due to the unique nature of the Peterborough V2 track, but a lot can be said for taking two straight fairly-dominant heat advantages out of the defending champions to open the meeting.

The Storm tried to fight back, getting a 5-1 of their own in equally dominant fashion, but were quickly shot down again by another pair of home advantage wins.

A second fightback 5-1 in Heat 6 stopped it getting too out of hand, but the split heats 7, 8 & 9 will no doubt have annoyed both captains, as each team could feasibly have scored better and used it to close or extend the overall picture.

The Storm tried a third time to ignite a comeback after winning heat 10, but found the veteran trio of BWitcher, Tintin & Dons101 tough to beat in Heats 11, 12 & 13 respectfully.

Heat 14 was a Piemen 5-1, and sits as the only race BWitcher didn't win (and very nearly didn't come second in. Powis pushed him all the way). Craig's men took a consolation heat advantage in 15, but gave it straight back in 16.

Maybe it's my lack of years building nostalgia for the track, or maybe it's the way this meeting panned out, but this felt the least exciting of the three this week (history making aside).

FINAL: Piemen 51 - 45 Storm

RIDER OF THE WEEK

BWitcher. His only fault was coming second to his own team-mate and thus not getting a true 21, but you have to factor in that he was team-riding to hold off a very strong Storm chase rather than going for personal glory.

WEEK 4

Stoke Sabres vs Peterborough Piemen

With Dons taking the win in an opening split heat, the Piemen were no doubt confident of building on their recent victory over the Storm. However, it quickly went downhill, with two of the next three heats going 5-1 to the Sabres. It's not that they were necessarily bad in those heats either. Sure, they made some mistakes, but you'd usually expect the same from your opponents.

Not the Sabres though. They showed ruthless efficiency to build a lead.

Which is why it's surprising to see that efficiency falter first by a mistake (heat 5) and then by some generally poor riding (heat 6), allowing their visitors to narrow the gap to 2 points.

Heat 7 was better, but you'd expect a team 1 & 2 to beat the opposing 5 & 6 in the vast majority of cases.

Heat 7 was followed by SEVEN straight split heats. Depending on your personal interests you're likely to find something to satisfy here. Fightbacks, errors, teamriding... It might be uneventful on the scoreboard but a 3-3 end result can often provide a great bit of viewing.

In the last of them (Heat 14), Nikolai fenced to give up a potential home 5-1. (Mentioning it purely because he said there's nothing to see here!)

Heat 15 was a 5-1, with the away team making a pair of mistakes to throw away their opportunity to take a losing bonus point... And seeing the loss compounded by another 4-2 for Stoke in the final heat 16.

Last season it was a matter of if anyone can stop the Storm. This season we'll be asking if anyone can parry the Sabres.

FINAL: Sabres 54 - 42 Piemen

Newcastle Sharks vs Glasgow Cowboys

I got my first viewing of action at Brough Park this week, and I'm not entirely convinced it's the right track for the Sharks. Despite it being a small, technical track with little room for error it's not quite providing a challenge for visiting teams. Case in point: The Cowboys securing a maximum 4 points after the Storm got three in week 1.

The action early on was fast and frantic. Races seemed to vary from overtakes at a premium to straight parades. Heat 3 was the only major note. With ZiGi absent, Gerry failed to prevent the away team getting an easy 5-1.. Including Alf taking the win on the purple bike! (Take THAT white dominance!).

The rest of the early running was split heats.

Heat 7 saw the home side grass twice, gifting another 5-1 to the visitors... Before fortunes reversed in Heat 8, Cowboys crashing while Sharks cruised to the line.

Bend 1 bunching caused Heat 9 to restart (so glad to see the ping-prevention rule enforced), although with a 5-1 Cowboy win the result I think the Sharks may wish it hadn't been.

Speedy lived up to his name in driving away from the competition in Heat 11, showing he's adapting to his new home as well as he did to Exeter last year.

The pattern of close races with occasional Cowboys advantages carried on through the rest of the meeting.

FINAL: Sharks 41 - 55 Cowboys

Manchester Storm vs Hackney Warriors

The Warriors just cannot catch a break. Despite being in it right up until the end (against the Storm no less!) they have to settle for a consolation losing point and fall to 0 wins, 4 losses overall.

Craig naturally took the victory in the first race, dominating at the track he crafted. However, his team-mate zipped off the track, leaving the Warriors to pick up the remaining points.

Heat 2 was more comfortable for the Storm, showcasing their knowledge of the track in a team-riding exhibition. A rare Racerryan DNF gave away a heat advantage in Heat 3, keeping the visitors in it... Until Craig lead a 4-2 return in the very next heat, restoring the gap.

A gripping Heat 5 switched momentum again, bringing the scores level... Before the away side used a second Racerryan DNF to take the lead,. They negated Craigs third win in heat 7, and set to press on.

However, they came up against the formidable pairing of Stefan and Powis in Heat 8. They repeated their stylish riding from Heat 2, forcing their chasing opponents into a mistake for a comfortable win. If you do nothing else after this, I recommend you go watch these two in action together and witness two team-mates in perfect harmony (just gloss over heat 3 when it doesn't work).

Racerryan no doubt did some tinkering in the pits, as he came out for heat 9 with renewed vigour and lead out the split heat. Craig then made it 4 wins from 4, although it was once again in a 3-3, with Powis less effective than his riding with Stefan.

Although maybe it's Stefan who draws the best out of his team-mates? He shepherded Capsey around, battling both Warriors at once for yet another home 5-1. The Warriors hit back immediately, taking advantage of the poor meeting form of Rosco & Racerryan in order to get a 5-1 of their own.

After another Craig-lead 3-3, Stefan tried to once again help Capsey. This time he found the Warriors much tougher to hold back. While he got the victory, Marecki managed to split the Stormers, and it could have been tied if Wayne hadn't hit the grass on the final bend.

Heats 15 & 16 ended up tied, with the latter seeing Craig denied a 6-ride maximum.

FINAL: Storm 50 - 46 Warriors

RIDER OF THE WEEK

I'm going to throw a curveball and go for Hobnob here. In the Warriors loss to the Storm he picked up 6+3 from 4 rides. While not the highest scoring, his consistent position in preventing an opponent scoring helped in preventing the end result being a much bigger drubbing.
Honourable mention to Craig, going 15-from-5 before falling short in a tight heat 16 and missing out on a max.

LEAGUE TABLE REVIEW

STOKE SABRES (13) take the top spot solo by staying unbeaten, with the STORM (9) hanging on behind, just holding off the COWBOYS (7).

Three points brings us back to the PIEMEN (4) in fourth.

The SHARKS (3) sit above the WARRIORS (2) by way of their victory in week 3, although the latter did manage to pick up another losing bonus point in week 4.

UPCOMING FIXTURES

WEEK 5: Sabres vs Storm, Piemen vs Sharks, Warriors vs Cowboys

Exciting times as first meets second in a fixture that could be important come the end of the season. Meanwhile fourth plays fifth, separated by one point going into the meeting. Finally, the Cowboys will look to keep up with the top two as they travel to the winless Warriors, who themselves will be hoping to break their rut and avoid getting swept across the first half of the season.

WEEK 6: Sharks vs Sabres, Warriors vs Piemen, Cowboys vs Storm

The rematches begin with a trio of repeats from Week 1. Last time out the then-home teams all won. Can they repeat this on the road?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:02 am

Post Re: Weekly Report #3 & #4
nice read buddy keep up the good work :)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 am

great read as always mate, keep them coming!
also, really looking forward to next weeks report already!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm

well done mate, a terrific read, your really good at this should get in touch with speedway star ;)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Well done thrax, a very enjoyable read once again! Please keep them coming.

P.S

With reference to heat 9, it wasn't a mistake. Lag struck me dead! Otherwise I fully expect it would have been a tapes to flag victory :p

JC

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Thrax, were due the next (possibly 2 now) weekly reports are we not...? some good meetings to look forward too this time around, especially if you're a Storm fan!

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Powis84 wrote:
Thrax, were due the next (possibly 2 now) weekly reports are we not...? some good meetings to look forward too this time around, especially if you're a Storm fan!

Full apologies here as I've not found time to sit down and watch everything through yet, thus no reports. Depending on how today goes, I might be able to get some of the catch up done tonight.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:44 am

that'd be fantastic!

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Progress update:

Motivation is taking a hit in my efforts to blaze through it (144 races by my estimate to catch up with in weeks 5-7), made worse by the fact I realised this morning that my entire Week 5 first draft features exactly zero specifics in it. Not sure if this is going to take even longer, or if I'll carry on like I have started and more allude to the meetings with more interesting races to let people discover them themselves rather than directly quoting all the action.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]